Jonah Goldberg’s magnum opus, Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning, has been completed, and Sadly, No! (courtesy of Matt Yglesias) has all of the beautiful details. Here are the ten chapter titles:
1. Mussolini: The Father of Fascism.
2. Adolf Hitler: Man of the Left.
3. Woodrow Wilson and the Birth of Liberal Fascism.
4. Franklin Roosevelt’s Fascist New Deal.
5. The 1960s: Fascism Takes to the Streets.
6. From Kennedy’s Myth to Johnson’s Dream: Liberal Fascism and the Cult of the State.
7. Liberal Racism: The Eugenic Ghost in the Fascist Machine.
8. Liberal Fascist Economics.
9. Brave New Village: Hillary Clinton and the Meaning of Liberal Fascism.
10. The New Age: We’re All Fascists Now.
Genius. Goldberg simply takes every liberal figure or policy item he dislikes and dubs it fascist. It’s so brilliant, it’s amazing no one’s ever thought of it before. The book jacket’s even better, and not just for the immortal sentence “The quintessential liberal fascist isn’t an SS storm trooper; it is a female grade-school teacher with an education degree from Brown or Swarthmore.” There’s also the bold, original statement that “Hitler was a strict vegetarian, and Himmler was an animal rights activist.” Goldberg is evidently unaware of the logical fallacy reductio ad Hitlerum, given as he appears to have written an entire book around it.